Monday, June 8, 2009

Thank You Bryce

On Friday I decided to get the kids all dressed up in patriotic colors and go to a funeral precession for Spc. Bryce Millward. He was a cousin of mine and he died in a helicopter accident in Hawaii while on active duty. I knew that the community was going to support his family by displaying flags along the route to the funeral home from the airport as they brought his body home. Before we left I showed Carter the US Flag on his shirt and explained that we lived in a very special place and that there are "nice people" who protect us and our homes by fighting against the "naughty people" who want to take that away from us. Once I could tell he sort of knew what I was talking about, I explained who Bryce was, a "nice person", who died trying to protect us and is now in heaven with Jesus and Heavenly Father. Then I told him that we were going to show our support to his family by waving our flags and saying Thank You as they drove by. As we headed out the door we grabbed our little flags and bundled up since it was pretty chilly. We got a really good spot on the street and Grandma and Grandpa Johnson showed up with blankets. While we were waiting, I again took the opportunity to explain to Carter why we were there. I wasnt sure it would all sink in. Then, we heard the police sirens and the POW/MIA motorcycles leading the precession. Carter jumped up in my arms to see better. As they all drove by, the entire street fell silent. You could feel the gratitude in the air from everyone around us. Then we saw the hurst carrying Bryce's body and tears began to stream from my eyes. Carter kept asking me, "Mommy, who is that?" I told him it was Bryce. And then, just when I thought that maybe he didnt remember anything we had talked about, he silently whispered...."Thank you Bryce". My heart melted and I held my son as tight as I could knowing that the Millward family had just lost theirs. It was a moment I will never forget. I am so happy I shared that experience with my children. I didnt know Bryce, nor did they but I knew it was important that they knew about him. I hope I can install a sense of honor and gratitude in them for the free and wonderful country we live in. We are all truly blessed!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wonderful! I'm so glad you got to have that moment with your son, those are the best. And how great that you're teaching him to honor those who serve. I didn't know his procession was on Friday, or we might have gone too. I took my kids to the one for the Steven's son a while back. It is so moving to see all the people come out and the respect and dignity they show or our fallen soldiers. We truly live in a blessed country! Thanks for sharing this, it warmed my heart!

Jenn said...

That is so sweet! I love moments like that. Thank you so much for all your help and support--you are a great friend! PS, that cake was AMAZING, I need the recipe!!